Skip to main content

An Omelette A Thunderstorm Bridget Jones And Me

                                                                       


I never get around to eating breakfast; Too busy, not hungry, can't decide, always on the go. But, on this dark stormy morning, with the chores finished, the kids off to school, the resumes sent out and a movie I just had to watch one more time...I cooked me up some eggs.

So, there I was.., a cozy candle to warm up the darkness that had settled in my living room, the dishwasher running, the dryer humming, the rain pounding, a cup of tea and my omelette. I slipped the DVD in.

Bridget Jones's Diary. I've seen it few times. I always get such a kick out of that crazy Britt. I've seen the second one, and I believe the third one is on its way.

But, I am drawn to the very first original one. Nothing can beat it. To me,  it's a classic.

Borrowed from Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice; you've got, Darcy. Pronounced with an English accent, it's  Daahcy. Mark Darcy for Bridget. You've got Jane's,Whickham, who is Bridget's Daniel, the clod.

Now, I'm quite certain that many a sisterhood have claimed an allegiance with the Bridget in all of us.

Today, however, I can only speak for myself.

I see her as a free spirit. Tortured of course, but free, just the same. I would like to be more like her in that sense.

There are many differences between she and I. Some similarities, as well. I know we can all say that about a lot of characters that we see in movies or read about in books, that touch us, move us.

I envy her so. She is, indeed, every woman. Determined and clueless. Confident and clumsy. Dreamer and realist. Funny and sad. Outgoing and reserved. All at the same time.

It's no mystery why I can relate to her. I think we all can.

However, I am not a guzzling consumer of alcohol, she is. I am not a smoker, she is. I am not promiscuous, she is. She does not have four children, I do. She is unabashed in her public speaking efforts. Me. Mortifyingly dismayed. She has not  been married, I have.

She makes a fool of herself more often than not. She is so free in her blatant stupidity. I tend to be extremely cautious and proper, overly so. I do not manage to have nearly the fun that she does.

She has my dream job, working for a publishing house.

She has deemed herself a "Singleton", whilst she obsesses over the "Smug Marrieds". Fearful of dying alone and unwed, I can only imagine her frustration.

Having been down the road of matrimony and the demise that followed, I have been spared this anguish.

Now, her men. Daniel, her boss. He is a womanizer, smug and conniving. He charms her, but he can't help himself. She falls for it, repeatedly. Who can blame her, he is quite dashing.

Then you have, Mister Mark Darcy. Maahk Daahcy. Pompous, arrogant, egotistical, stuffy as can be. He so needs the love of a good woman.

She has her bliss with Daniel. He gets caught with another woman. Surprise, surprise.

She grows more and more intrigued with Mark. He is otherwise engaged.

She finds herself swearing off  the men who just cannot appreciate her. She will become the best Bridget she can be. That's it. The New Year's Resolution. She will shed those pounds. Quit the drink, quit the smoke. Land the man of her dreams.

Very much like real life, the harder she tries, the more weight she gains, the more frustrated she is the more she needs a drink and a smoke.

What I love about her is that, she is determined. No matter the mess she keeps finding herself in. She is through all of this... herself. She remains true and constant.

In the end, the clod and the stuffy one both try to win her affections. One, to simply win her. One to simply love her.

I adore the ending. I cheer for her all the way, each time I watch; Darcy finds her diary. (At this too, I gasp, in utter shock, each time.) It is not very flattering of his character. He is out the door, gone as gone gets. Meanwhile, Bridget is searching for her genuinley tiny knickers. Well, she finds them. They are leopard print and they are genuinely tiny.

Stop the presses.

She discovers that Mark has read her harsh depiction of him. He has fled.

Now, my favorite part of the movie.

She runs after him. She is running after him in her leopard print, genuinely tiny knickers, a pair of running shoes and a sweater. She runs after him through the streets of London, in a snow storm, no less. Yelling, all the while..."Maaahhhkk. Maaahhhkk. Maaahhhkk."

Thrills. Heaven to Betsy. Glory be. Hallaluja. Thank You Jesus. She finds him. She so desperately wants to apologize and make it all right. He; ever so sweetly, calmly, matter of factly, in his very "Daahcy" like fashion, explains that he was purchasing a new journal for her. Stating, "It might be time to make a new start of it."

Well, if that just isn't scrumptious, I don't know what is.

Good for you Bridget! I'll toast to that! And I'll toast to it again and again and again.

Hint: Pause Playlist below to enjoy video





Comments