Skip to main content

A New Beginning



~ 2 Corinthians 5:17 ~

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has gone, the new has come

The kids and I are getting Baptized on Sunday. Our spiritual date of birth will be September 25, 2011.
I love that we all get to do this together.The kids are so excited. Opportunities to do so have come and gone and yet, here we are in Florida, away from family and friends, making this very public declaration with our new church family.

The Baptism will  be held on what our church calls "The Land". A beautiful grapefruit orchard, with a "Florida Lake" which is the future home of an expanded building for The Crossing Church and will be preformed by our Pastor, Kendal Anderson. The lake may or may not be available, however if it is, I'm in. Now, bear in mind we are talking fish, turtles, alligators and snakes.There will also be a kiddie pool, as a viable option.

 We have travelled so far, almost 1200 miles. We have been embraced and welcomed. We are starting fresh.
It strikes me that the symbolic decision to start over in a new location has also led us to a spiritual renewal.

Each of us has made the decision that we are God's and he alone has provided a way for us. In accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour, we have the promise and the hope of spending eternity with Him.
As a young girl of 5 years, I was taught John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." I have always loved and believed in God, his Son and the Holy Spirit. I just was not making them an important part of my life. Sure, I prayed everyday, went to church, begged him to help in times of trouble.
Needless to say, at that time in my life, I had not read the Bible, nor did I understand who I was to Him.
Whether you are a believer or not, you have probably heard of false idols. We have all most likely worshipped  quite a few in our lives. For me, the decision to be Baptized and claim my re-birth is in one sense an apology to God. In a larger sense, it is a "Thank You" to Him.

I can honestly say that I have worshipped false idols and in doing so, my family paid a high price.
I idolized the life my husband had provided for us. I idolized our home, our children, our wealth, our lifestyle, even our health. It wasn't until my marriage ended that God made it very clear to me who He wanted to be in my life. I had been searching, I had experienced a beckoning , a whisper, a tugging on my heart. But you see, it was not to be in our home, it was not to be in our marriage.
Something had to give. My heart was changing. Changing towards heaven. Changing towards a goodness I wanted to touch and taste and hold. I wasn't the best person, I wasn't the worst. But I needed something that all the houses and diamonds and cars couldn't do for me. I needed to be vulnerable. I needed to be broken, so that I could become new.

I thought we had everything. I thought I had everything. I was a mommy and a wife. To me, that was enough and it was everything. I remember going through the pain of losing what I thought was everything. At the time, I still had my health, my kids, their health, we had a home, we had food, we were surrounded by supportive friends and family. But I was so wrapped up in what I was losing. I was losing my identity, my title .

I fell to the floor, when I heard the news. A divorce. Literally, like a howling animal I moaned and I groaned...on the kitchen floor. The kids watched in horror. I never saw it coming.
And here was this God, whom I did not take the time to know and adore; picking me up, dusting me off and whispering ever so gently, that He was with me. I kept saying, "God you did not bring me to this life and you did not give me these kids, just to take it all away, to leave me all alone." And all the while, I could feel his hands on my shoulders. I could feel his shadow hovering over my left shoulder, to be exact. You are not alone. Clear as day, I heard this...day after day.

 I remember, opening my Bible. I remember thinking, this is all so familiar. As I learned and read and prayed it became undoubtedly clear to me that I was home. This is where I have been longing to be. Home. I knew this place, yet somewhere along the course of my life, I forgot. I misplaced it. I remember explaining it to my smiling Christian friends..."I've always known this truth, it is so, so familiar to me. It is just like coming home, only better."

The day was drawing near. It was time to write about our big exciting day. However, I kept putting it off. The words would not come.

An old 'ugly' reared its head, trying to trip me up, on the  eve of our Baptism. But I will not allow my heart to harden. Gossip and talk are an unnecessary evil. Sometimes unintentional, damaging , just the same. Our paths are set before us.On Sunday my children; Bria, Blake, Bianca, and Becca along with myself and a few others, will one by one, be immersed in holy waters. We will go under as our old selves. When we emerge soaked and shining, we will be new creations.

So, I want to thank Him. In a lake on the orchard with fish and turtles,alligators and snakes. Or the kiddie pool. With my mascara running. Tears streaming. An awkward outfit. My, not-in-the-best-shape of my life physique. Without all of the old and familiar faces. In the midst of continued hardship and struggles. It is, in fact, the most perfect circumstance for me to thank Him.

~ Ezekiel 36:26 ~

I will give you a new heart, and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.

                                            Hint: Pause Playlist below to enjoy video

Comments

Michelle Marvel said…
God Bless You!!!!!
Simply Me said…
Michelle~It was wonderful~Thank you!